According to the definition from Oxford Languages, goal is the object of a person’s ambition or effort; an aim or desired result.
Goals are action-based, and they are meant to stretch and help you to achieve results. They give focus and direction to your business and life. However, if you ain’t clear on what your goals are or why you set them in the first place, you might get frustrated when you don’t accomplish them.
Without proper planning, writing something down and calling it your goal will only result in disappointment. To set and achieve goals, you need a well-defined plan and strategy.
Goals can be broken down into smaller goals that act as checkpoints to monitor your progress. This is because a series of action steps that build upon one another are the stepping stones to achieving your desired outcome.
Goal vs VisionAccording to the Oxford Languages, vision is the ability to think about or plan the future with imagination or wisdom.
It exists in the realm of your imagination, and continues to inspire you and give you direction towards your goals.
Your vision represents where you want to be in your life and business, whereas goals bridge the gap between where you are and where you want to be.
Goals are milestones (measurable steps) that you accomplish in order to fulfil your vision.
Your vision is to cultivate body confidence by dressing in clothes that you like and that make you feel good and confident while also loving your body, no matter what shape or size it is. You also want to eat well and exercise according to your body`s abilities. Compliments yourself when you look in the mirror and maintaining a healthy relationship with food are things you see and hear in your imagination.
Some possible goals that could make it happen,
- Refresh your wardrobe with comfortable and stylish clothes
- Exercise to improve flexibility
- Sign up with a coach or therapist to get support and address other underlying issues
- Stop comparing yourself to others and unfollow 5 social media accounts each month
- Daily gratitude for all the amazing things your body can do, all the places it can take you, how it feels, the experiences it brings to you
- Weekly reflection on when you or someone else criticizes your body and ultimately reframe it
Ultimately, you have to make a commitment to making an effort towards accomplishing your goals.
If you’re ready to get out of your own way and achieve your goal, here’s your next step forward.